Quote of the Week:

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and Third by experience, which is the bitterest.

-Confucius

Friday, December 26, 2008

Wrong Tile

On December 25, 2006, approximately 2 years ago, an afternoon perhaps, we went to Cathedral for a Thanksgiving prayer. Prayer? Ok, whatever. As a non-believer, I never really took it seriously.

While inside, i observed the tilings on the floor. As an observer and half-baked perfectionist, I quickly noticed that something was really wrong. In the whole entire room (I was in the Prayer Room, people), there was only one, and only one tile that was geometrically inept - out of place. It had to be rotated 270 degrees for it to be like all the other "good tiles".

Out of all the places that I could have located myself in the near-empty room, I was there. The wrong tile was literally in front of me. My eyes stood affixed to the floor...to the tile. It is my personal belief that everything happens for a reason, and that the whole universe conspired with such "coincidence". I felt it had a deeper meaning.

I know I sound weird and all, but I have to admit that I had always been weird, reflecting on such a silly, minute thing such as a mispositioned tile, but I just couldn't help myself. I'm an overly-dramatic reflective type 4 (Enneagram).

That moment simply dumbfounded me. I realized that it was my life that was in front of me. I was the wrong tile. 

As weird as I have told you I am, I looked up and said, "Well, I know where You're going with this. It's been 2 miracles since I last turned my back on you. My life has turned a full straight line. Now, I'm on the fence, as I You might have known. I can go either way, you know. Give me one more 3rd miracle, then I'd decide."

Weird! I was talking to myself. Even weirder, I had that 3rd miracle a year ago. That miracle was my Philosophy 25 class (Philosophy of Religion), where I had only attended less than 5 meetings, missed ALL of my major and minor exams, and NO requirements whatsoever, and I still managed to pull off a B-. How? That's a miracle. 

Still, I do believe that though I had only attended class a few times, I had learned more than enough wisdom to last me a lifetime. There are 3 steps into achieving Faith. Religion, which was what I was given. Atheism, which was when I stopped believing. and Faith, which is what I have right now.

Unlike every one I know, this Faith I have for a Greater Being is unbounded and undefined. It is not the same "God" people who are stuck with Religion, or skipped to "Faith" have. It is far more Greater and Powerful.

I am glad I took the wrong tile seriously. It actually changed my whole life.

Now, I believe that in this rational world, there is no such thing as a coincidence. Every single thing has its reasons. One just simple needs to understand what these Omens (the Alchemist) are.

1 comment:

  1. Hi KC! Kumusta! I'm glad that you're still the deep reflective type of person like my self hehehe.

    Being the wrong tile isn't totally wrong or unfortunate. Being different is the first step of standing out from the crowd and one route to greatness. If everyone was the same, how can you differentiate the best from the rest?

    ReplyDelete